Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The new Blogger interface sucks

Just a brief note. I recently got a new Android mobile device that I use, among other things, for blogging. And Blogger just changed their user interface. Now, as far as I've been able to tell, it's added no useful new features or functionalities. What it has done is make blogging harder and more annoying, especially on a mobile touchscreen device. In short, this sucks. It makes blogging harder. For example, managing labels for posts is now rage-inducingly difficult, as is setting the publication date. The pop-up menus on the right side of the screen where this is done are just unbelievably annoying to navigate, as is the new "Edit posts" screen. At times, the menus simply don't work. If you're looking to set up a blog, right now I would advise against doing so on Blogger.

As this comes right on the heels of Facebook's new Timeline, I can't help but ask why the hell. In my opinion, a user interface should only be changed if the transition costs of adjusting to the new interface are significantly lower than the benefits of the new system. I don't think this is even close to being true in either case. On Facebook, I actually believe that their motivation is to deliberately obfuscate their privacy settings and try to deceive people into making previously private information public so they can sell it to advertisers. It makes me wonder why Blogger changed theirs.

UPDATE: I'm finding it almost impossible to label and schedule this post. That should tell you what kind of interface we're talking about here. If this post doesn't have paragraph breaks or labels, it is because I was unable to add them. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment