Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2012 NHL playoff picks

We've done some playoff and World Champs picks before, and they've never gone particularly well. We remain undaunted.

Eastern conference

1. NYR - 8. OTT

Nobody even thought the Senators would make the playoffs, so they've already exceeded expectations by getting this far. If I hadn't seen the Caps-Rangers game where Lundqvist and the Rangers defense couldn't stop a beach ball, I'd have no qualms whatsoever calling this one for the Rangers in five. I'm still picking the Rangers, though.

2. BOS - 7. WSH

Maybe Dale Hunter has actually spent all his time and effort in training the Caps to play devastatingly effective playoff hockey: a solid team defense and top-notch special teams. You know, the stuff they didn't have in the regular season. Unless Tim Thomas goes berserk from the sheer proximity of the federal government, this should be easy for the Bruins. As much as Jack Edwards and Don Cherry make me want to see the Bruins lose horribly, they're unlikely to do it here.

3. FLA - 6. NJ

Kudos to the Panthers for making the playoffs and making the Leafs the only franchise to not make it to the post-season once after the lockout. While I'd like nothing better than to see the Panthers win the East, it's hardly likely they'll make it past the Devils. A solid performance will give them something to build on, even if they lose.

4, PIT - 5. PHI

After five regular season head-to-head games, I would've said Philadelphia. After the feeble, lackluster performance the Flyers phoned in last Saturday, I'm tempted to say Pittsburgh. On the whole, I don't think Philadelphia had the team defense to succeed in the playoffs, but that's what I said when they made it to the finals. I'm betting on Pittsburgh and hoping to lose.

Western conference

1. VAN - 8. LA

I want the Kings to win this series so bad. Full disclosure: I dream of a Panthers-Kings final. I doubt I'll get it. When the Kings hired Darryl Sutter, it was said that he wasn't the right guy to get the Kings the offense they needed; it's that lack of offensive power that's going to sink them against the Canucks. Even Jonathan Quick, who I think should win the Vezina, can only take them so far.

2. STL - 7. SJ

Man, I wish I'd seen more Blues games. The Sharks aren't going anywhere and should have been blown up long ago. Blues in six.

3. PHX - 6. CHI

Five or so years ago, nobody would have believed this was a real playoff series. I can't figure Chicago out: some nights they play like Cup champions, some nights... not. They'll win this one in five games, though.

4. NSH - 5. DET

The Central Division's really been something this year. The Wings and Preds split the season series right down the middle, so this one's anyone's guess. The big question marks are on the Wings' side: will Johan Franzén show up? Which Henrik Zetterberg turns up, the dominating post-season veteran or the useless turnover machine? How will whoever they put in goal do? I'm saying Nashville in seven after a Red Wings choke-up reminiscent of their last trip to the finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment